Showing posts with label Technical Indicators. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Technical Indicators. Show all posts

Friday, April 9, 2010

Test Number Two: Cheating the Technical Indicator #2

I'm still cheating my technical indicator test with Biopack Environmental (BPAC).

I'm still doing the Buy & Hold thing on this one, and it's pretty boring right now.

Buy Price: $0.29/share

Current Price: $0.19/share

The financial numbers were released recently, and they looked pretty good. I wonder whether I'm missing something here.

I admit that there seems to be a limited amount of profit on environmentally friendly food packaging material, but we DO eat a lot of food on this planet. I imagine that someone would have to sell a whole lot to make a modest amount of profit, though.

I'll keep you posted.


Thursday, April 1, 2010

Test Number Two: Cheating the Technical Indicator (Part 2)

I'm still holding onto Biopack Environmental (BPAC), and I'm still cheating.

I'm not using the Slow Stochastic technical indicator. I'm using that ol' buy and hold method now.

I have to admit, it's certainly not as fun to just sit there and hold onto something. Trading is really pretty fun.

However, with this one, I'm learning that it's probably the right thing to do.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Test Number Two: Techinal Indicator (Part 5)

I stopped playing by the rules for this test.

I was trying to use the Slow Stochastic technical indicator to determine my "buy" and "sell" signals for Biopack Environmental (BPAC). Today, I got the "sell" signal.

Here are the stats:

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Test Number Two: Techinal Indicator (Part 4)

The Market just opened an hour ago, and I'm already down around 20% today. That doesn't include yesterday big loss....or the day before that.

The technical indicators keep telling me to buy, buy, buy. The MACD told me not to buy, but most of the others seem to point toward the "buy" signal.

Biopack Environmental (BPAC)
Original Buy Price: $0.29/share
Today's Price (Early AM): $0.20/share.

Let's hope this thing changes for the better, but I'm not so hopeful. I've been wanting to cut my losses for a while, but I'm trying to remain patient throughout this experiment. So far, I'm really being tested.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Test Number Two: Techinal Indicator (Part 3)

My test using technical indicators continues with Biopack Environmental (BPAC).

I bought this at $0.29/share.

Today, it sits at $0.25/share.

My common sense told me to sell at $0.27 or $0.26/share, but the technical indicators keep saying "buy" instead of "sell."

My next test will not be a OTC stock. It's not always easy to get up to the minute quotes. So I'm never very secure that I am getting the read on the technical indicators at the time I need them.

We'll see what happens. If this doesn't work, it will just be a test gone wrong--not my major investment portfolio. There is time, still, since it has gone as low as $0.08/share during the past year.

I'll continue to post the play-by-play on this one as it unfolds.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Continuing My 2nd Test

Today, I continued my second test with BPAC.
Yesterday, I bought it at $0.29/share. Today it dropped to $0.28/share. Now it's rebounded to $0.30/share.

Since I'm testing things using the Technical Screener (Slow Stochastics), I'm not selling it, yet. However, it IS killing me.

I don't know how soon I will enter another OTC stock. It doesn't seem to have enough trading volume to afford the buying/selling flexibility that I want. You cannot put in a limit; so you have to keep checking the prices 6,000 times per day. I like gathering data, but NOT THAT MUCH!!!

Plus, I don't know that I can sell it at $0.30/share. The Ask (Buy) price is $0.31/share, but the Bid (Sell) price is listed at only $0.28/share.

I'll keep you posted.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Test Number Two: Techinal Indicator, with a Twist

I had an idea I wanted to test.

I looked at a list of stocks that were really volatile (Beta Value > 10.0). There were a few.

I picked one from the list where the Slow Stochastic Technical Indicator told me to BUY.

So I bought some at $0.29/share.

Monitoring Post-Selling Movement from my First Test

Yesterday, I bought and sold Enova (ENA) for my first test using a technical indicator. For this, I used the RSI and Slow Stochastic. (Keep in mind...I'm not using very much money for my testing.)

I bought AND sold it yesterday for a nice little profit. I won't be able to retire from it. In fact, it really wouldn't even pay a day's worth of wages, but it was a nice result from a first test.

However, yesterday, I also mentioned that I would not usually sell things at that level.

I admit that the stock dropped a little. However, it's returned to the price level that made me sell yesterday. The Technical charts do NOT tell me to buy this.

I will keep you posted, but for now, my common sense--not the charts--are tingling like crazy.

This morning's price is $1.65 as of when I started writing this post

Monday, March 15, 2010

Continuing My First Test: Just Sold It

I didn't expect results THIS quickly, but Enova (EVA) jumped up around $0.20/share today.

I checked the RSI and the Slow Stochastics, and they BOTH SAID SELL. So I did.

I bought these shares at $1.48/share and sold them at $1.65/share. That's a little over a 10% profit in less than two (2) business days.

I'm curious how much further it will climb. I usually wouldn't have sold it so quickly.

My guess: It will drop a little but not enough to trigger another "buy" signal. However, I think it will keep rising after that quick drop.

I'll keep you posted.

Trying Something New: Trading Using Technical Indicators

I like to fancy myself as purely a fundamental trader. However, if I'm honest with myself, I probably use fundamental ratios to get me started, and I tend to time the market for the actual buy and sell points. Luckily, I seem to have a knack for "timing" the market since identifying patterns comes so easily for me. Numbers make it that much easier for me.

Don't get me wrong. Using "play" money, I've made mistakes. (Luckily for me, I haven't made too many mistakes with real money so far.)

Last week, I had just a little bit of money in my broker's account. So I decided to buy a speculative stock, which I've been watching for nearly a year now. I decided to use the RSI and Slow Stochastic indicators. Both of them told me it was probably time to buy Enova (ENA) @ $1.48/share. My pattern watching told me that this might not be THE lowest price, but at the time I bought it I figured that its price was closer to its near-term bottom than its top.

I'll keep you posted on how I do with this. Even if I win, I didn't invest/gamble enough for it to change my life. The good news is that if I lose, my life will be unaffected, still.

I want to keep track of this so I can get some practice using technical indicators.