Saturday, January 8, 2011

Fear of Success: Don't let it bite you!

I think President Obama might finally get it!

Throughout the last couple of years, it seemed like every time the stock market started to make a nice rally, either he or someone from his administration would say something to kill it.

He would say something along the lines that we should not get too excited, because the economy is not healthy, yet. He wasn't wrong with his assessment, but he managed things poorly.

Economies grow when people feel confident they have a way of making or earning the income after they spend it.

Economies rise when confidence does. (The same is true in the opposite direction.)

It was like he was afraid of people expecting too much. So he--without truly meaning--sabotaged the economy by telling investors that they should not be as confident as they are.

You want to avoid building bubbles that will burst, but you WANT people to feel confident about spending money, either as consumers or investors. When investors spend, that creates more jobs, and more people become consumers.

It's that simple. The economy is successful when we let it be successful.

So I've looked at different parts of my life and asked myself whether I am acting in ways that show that I'm afraid of success.

As crazy as it sounds, I demonstrated that just last week. One of my stocks (small holding, unfortunately) jumped out the ceiling. I became more of a wreck AFTER it jumped than when it was low.

As much as I wanted it, I was unprepared for success, and for a while I crumbled.

Plan for success, and you'll be ready for it when it comes.

As for my opening statement, "I think President Obama might finally get it!"

I just read an article that quoted him finding a positive spin on recent economic indicators:

Regarding the unemployment rate falling, he said, "Now, we know that these numbers can bounce around from month to month. But the trend is clear."

"We saw 12 straight months of private sector job growth -- the first time that's been true since 2006."

NOW he seems to be getting it, finally.

Now that he doesn't seem to be so afraid of success, maybe the country can follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment