Sunday, January 9, 2011

Investment Advice #2: Only Invest with Passion

When you have money sitting idly, it can become sort of frustrating.

Anyone who is looking to invest knows that money that is not invested is doing nothing to help you.

Of course, money that is not invested is not hurting you, either (not accounting for inflation).

Actually, it KILLS me when I have money sitting on the sideline. In fact, it kills me so much that more than once I've invested that "extra" money into something--just to keep it from sitting.

This seems to make sense--at first. I mean, how much money can you make if your money is doing NOTHING. That's right! NOTHING.

So is there ever a time that I should NOT invest?

ABSOLUTELY!

If there is not anything that gets your EXCITED about investing, you should not be investing in anything.

What do I mean "get excited" about investing?

Let me use an example of something that most of us can relate.

I really LOVE sweets, and most people like OREO cookies.

Let's say that the "usual" price is $2.50/package.

Except, this week, the store has Oreos on sale this week for $1.00 EACH.

If you love Oreos, are you hesitating, not sure if you really should buy them?

Of course, not!

You're buying 'em. In fact, you're probably buying a BUNCH of them.

Why?

You're excited! It's a GREAT deal, and YOU KNOW IT!

If you have a potential investment in front of you, and you are not just as excited, it might not be a great idea to invest.

Now, I'm not saying that it is definitely a poor investment. However, I am saying that something is missing, and you should figure what it is BEFORE you invest.

I am also not guaranteeing that you will make money on every investment, but most of us are a lot smarter than we think we are.

If we get excited for the right reasons, generally we'll do much better than the person who invests--just to invest.

Invest with passion (based on reason--not emotion), and you'll likely see that you'll do a lot better with your investments than a lot of your friends.

If you want the straightest path to living in a mansion, you'll invest with passion! (Okay, that's a lame rhyme, but I think that you get the point.)

No comments:

Post a Comment